What would Christmas be without choral singing? No other season is so closely associated with choirs as Advent and Christmas. Here OD has recorded some of the most beloved Swedish Christmas songs, but also Christmas music from other countries. It is a collection with great musical and temporal range: from Gregorian to the present, from Latin America to Europe. Christmas Carols have their given place on the record, but also French and German compositions from ancient and more modern times. The soprano soloist is Christina Högman and the baritone soloist is Peter Mattei.
“An absolute must for lovers of fine male-voice choir music. The tracks are extremely beautiful, but it is what OD does with them that justifies its reputation as the best male-voice choir in the world. Full, smooth, superb choral sound, masterfully interpreting soloists, and the absolutely marvelous arrangements of the works makes this a listening pleasure of the highest order. My favorites: Cornelius ‘Die Könige’ and ‘A la nanita nana.’” AMAZON.DE APRIL 14, 2000, MARTIN SCHUBERT
“The world renowned Orphei Drangar treats us to a variety of Christmas songs from around the world, including Scandinavia, Germany, England and France. Selections include Gustaf Nordqvist’s sweet lullaby “Jul, jul stralande jul,” “Ave Maria” by Franz Biebl and “Es ist ein Ros’ entsprungen.” Conducted by Robert Sund, this wonderful choir is joined by soprano Christina Hogman and baritone Peter Mattei with Bengt Forsberg on organ. This is a simply lovely recording”. THE AMERICAN MUSIC SITE SINGERS.COM
“An atmospheric mixture of the sacred and the profane, of choral sounds with solo roles from choir members and guests, effectively interwoven for contrast.” HIFI & MUSIK, NO. 12, 1991
“Male quartet music cannot be sung better than this. Not only in purely technical terms but also with superb taste and feeling – without maudlin sentimentality.” GÖTEBORGS-POSTEN DEC. 13, 1991
“Absolutely the year’s best Christmas recording.” DAGEN, DECEMBER, 1991
PREVIEW THE RECORD (THE CLIPS ARE ONLY 30 SECONDS LONG DUE TO COPYRIGHT)
- Hosianna 2’06
- När det lider mot jul 3’14
- Jul, jul, stralande jul 2’29
- Bereden väg för herran 1’55
- Psalm 24 2’52
- Betlehems stjarna 3’03
- Forunderligt at sige 3’03
- Giv mig ej glans 3’20
- Hodie Christus natus est 1’09
- Ave Maria (Tomas Luis Vittoria) 2’25
- Ave Maria (Franz Biebl) 2’25
- Die Könige 2’12
- Stille Nacht 3’10
- Es ist ein Ros’ entsprungen 3’23
- Joy to the World 1’54
- OCome, all ye Faithful 2’34
- How far is it to Bethlehem 3’04
- Ding dong! Merrily on high 2’06
- Coventry Carol 2’30
- A la nanita nana 2’15
- Cantique de Noel 4’16
- La Marche des rois 2’30
- Quelle est cette odeur agreable 3’29
- OD on Spotify
Said about OD
- With OD behind me, I felt unstoppable.
- You become euphoric when you see them, and then they start to sing. That is when you feel true bliss!
Santtu-Matias RouvaliChief conductor of the Gothenburg Symphony Orchestra
- ”They really got to the depths of Sibelius music. I cannot think of any other choir to perform Sibelius with.”
- Orphei Drängar is an explosion of intelligence, feeling, intensity and precision.
- OD is a national pride of Sweden with the best male choir sound in the whole world!
Esa-Pekka SalonenConductor and composer
- OD possesses a combination of power, energy, and culture. Joy of discovery combined with professional technical and musical prowess.
Anne Sofie von OtterOpera Soprano
- It was one of my most enjoyable professional experiences to work with this collection of super nice, super good, super good-looking gents.
- OD is like a dream (with a whole lot of tail coats in it)!