Martin Fröst, Svante Henryson, and Johan Wester this year’s Caprice guests with Orphei Drängar
Year’s sold-out Caprice concerts with OD featured visits from clarinetist Martin Fröst, Svante Henrysson, known both as a classical cellist and as electric bassist in hard-rock bands, and comedian Johan Wester.
“It’s extremely enriching to have a chance to make music together with these two world-class musicians. It’s also liberating to laugh so uncontrollably in the company of a top-quality comedian. And to do all this together with a huge audience!” says Cecilia Rydinger Alin, OD’s conductor.
The show contained everything from classical pieces for clarinet, with the choir’s voices subbing for the orchestra, via Orphei Strängar (Strings), a real symphony orchestra with OD members playing the instruments, to the Christmas Story in a hard-rock version, with street-dancing singers. Of course, a cappella singing was also represented, as tradition dictates.
“It’s fun to be a part of a tradition-drenched show like this, where you recognize that it has been shaped and polished for many years. Caprice has such a great patina,” says Svante Henrysson.
OD’s most important and foremost tradition is renewal. This year it was shown vocally in Anders Hillborg’s newly composed ‘A Cradle Song’ — and choreographically in the Christmas Story, where a moonwalking camel was one of the highlights.
“I like to perform multiple shows in a short time, and that’s certainly something you do here. It’s also fun for a Lund alum to really get to know the Uppsala public this way,” says Johan Wester.
- OD on Spotify
Said about OD
- With OD behind me, I felt unstoppable.
- You become euphoric when you see them, and then they start to sing. That is when you feel true bliss!
Santtu-Matias RouvaliChief conductor of the Gothenburg Symphony Orchestra
- ”They really got to the depths of Sibelius music. I cannot think of any other choir to perform Sibelius with.”
- Orphei Drängar is an explosion of intelligence, feeling, intensity and precision.
- OD is a national pride of Sweden with the best male choir sound in the whole world!
Esa-Pekka SalonenConductor and composer
- OD possesses a combination of power, energy, and culture. Joy of discovery combined with professional technical and musical prowess.
Anne Sofie von OtterOpera Soprano
- It was one of my most enjoyable professional experiences to work with this collection of super nice, super good, super good-looking gents.
- OD is like a dream (with a whole lot of tail coats in it)!